Re: [SLUG] Python questions

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 09:53:24 EDT

> The exception thing explains why python acts so oddly (to me). The
> single open_file() function is probably the best idea in the long
> run.

Exceptions aren't a phenomenon unique to Python (Java, for example,
uses them in the same way). The only drawback to the single open_file
function is that you may lose some info about the type of exception,
unless you start checking in your open_file function and add return
codes or something. Sounds like for your purposes, though, the single
open_file function that catches all exceptions is good enough, and
will speed up your conversion.

> It's funny, I'm converting some perl code over to python. I normally
> code in C, and for some reason, perl was vastly easier to learn than
> python is. Weird.

Makes sense to me. Python is OO, C isn't really. Perl is closer to C
than python is in many areas. I went from C to python, though, and after coding python for a while I'm now looking at adding perl to the
mix. But after Python, it's tough, because Python has spoiled me with
what I would call its elegance and style. Everybody's differet
though :).

~ Daniel

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!