Re: [SLUG] Debian...I GIVE UP! Anyone else?

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 12:56:34 EDT

bpreece1 wrote:

>Office had Pinball, Volcanos, and Flight Simulators in it!

    True, but the point is, why do we have to tolerate the excess
baggage compiled in a word processor, regardless of who released it? I
don't have the luxury of too much ram or disk space, or a cpu that is
too fast. From my viewpoint, they are only degrading the product by
including these "features". Remember the DOS version of Word Perfect?
Half a dozen or so 720k floppies. The last version that I tried was over
100MB installed. Whatever happened to plain, simple, do what was
intended and nothing else apps? It is heading that direction with Linux
too. Slackware 2 would install with everything in about 275MB and run
happily on a 486 with 16M of RAM. Now we have distros that come with
several cd's and with careful selection of packages still barely fit
within 1 gig if you run a GUI. And a minimum requirement of 64MB just to
run the installer.

    OK, enough ranting, and no offense intended if I ragged on anyone's
favorite distro/app. :-)

    Jeff