Re: [SLUG] Upgraded Evolution and Lost my Spell Checker

From: bpreece1 (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 02:01:31 EDT

Novell is porting it's NDS, Zen Works, and other items.
They are working on a full Distro how ever Im sure you will see this will
not
be a General Public release. As to mention Novell is not ever been for
Personal use.

They are moving to make companys drop Microsoft. Now if they do this right
it may
be a chance that they will make a come back. How ever if they lock a high
License price
like they have then they will loose. As Novell has gotten greedy with
Liceneses with their products.
They are some time almost 2 to one of the Redmond prices. Not helping.

How ever they can perhaps also though persuade others to start rapidly
porting stuff over.
This is what needs to happen.

Novell also needs to stream line it's bloat. To bring reliability back and
not to mention performance.
As for Groupwise again this is very much a highly resorce hog. Not to
mention it still uses Novells propritary
MAPI client. Not good if they don't loose that as well. They should use
standard LDAP and MAPI to bring things
over. Next loose the IPX that they still hang to and strictly go TCP/IP.

Much work needed and a road map needs to be made to already be prepaired to
fix this stuff.

Wish them Luck though and hope they smoke SCO/Caldera once and for all and
get them to shut up!
I do applaud them to put money behind stuff and realize that there is other
alternatives.

Let's see what happens.
Bill Preece