Re: [SLUG] SCO and Linux Code

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 10:18:42 EDT

>In other words, SCO is lying through their tooth.

That's what Linus says:
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/19/1633233&tid=11

>Perhaps the Open-Source community should file a class action lawsuit on
>behalf of all Linux users and put this company under once and for all.

We discussed this last night on TheLinuxShow - http://thelinuxshow.com

I believe any such class-action suit should be limited to end users,
while people/companies that sell Linux products, services or information
should individually sue for damages, even if only in small claims court.

The point of having many suits is to put requests for discovery that
would force SCO to reveal *all* of the allegedly infringing codeso that
it could be "written out" of the kernel and accompanying utilities.

Eric Raymond and I differ on how long this project wuld take once the
code was revealed. He says hours, I say days. But we both agree that it
would take less than a week. :)

And once there is no code in Linux packages to which SCO can lay even a
farfetched claim, the whole silliness is over, we can go back to our
normal bitching about the lack of IT jobs, and SCO (almost certainly
under new management) can go back to being a low-profile, unprofitable
Unix vendor.

- Robin