Re: [SLUG] Solved (but not elegant)- Suse 8.2 and Evolution 1.4

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 14:03:55 EDT

> It's hard enough dealing with conflicting dependencies in the RPM
> package manager without Ximian's added layer of complexity. Ximian's
> great if you just want to use their software plus default installed
> software. I ran into problems when I brought in outside 3rd party RPMS.

Well, here's the thing. 3rd party RPMs of gnome apps will generally be
linked against (lots of) vanilla gnome libraries. If you have instead the
set of ximian gnome libraries on your system, which are not guaranteed to
be 100% compatible with the vanilla libs, then the behavior of the 3rd
party app will become unpredictable. It may work fine; it may throw odd
errors for nonobvious reasons. So, if you're running ximian, and you have
a gnome app you want to install from RPM, you need to get a ximianized RPM
or build a ximianized one from source, linking against your ximian
libraries (, or you could try to find a statically linked version).

Even worse, if you have intermingled ximian and vanilla binaries in the
same tree (I had this happen to me a while back when the unstable apt
gnome binaries were WAY behind development, so I added the ximian sources
to my sources.list), a binarily-installed app will use some vanilla libs
and some ximian libs. Ugh, I had to write a script to search installed
packages versions for 'ximian' and force a reinstall of the vanilla
replacement.

Levi