[SLUG] base64 encoding

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 19:25:31 EDT

A customer has sent me a mailing list via something like Outlook
Express. It appears to be base64 encoded. Normally, when that occurs,
there is a line at the beginning of the attachment like:

begin-base64 600 name-of-file

and then there are some equals signs at the end. In this case, neither
one of these things is true. The last file she sent me, I was able to
decode by massaging the file as above. I ran it through uudecode and was
able to unencrypt it. With this one, however, the same edits don't work.
I'm running mutt, which does not automatically decode these things, so
I'm stuck with saving the attachment and running it against uudecode.
The problem is that I don't know what's supposed to be around the
attachment to make uudecode like it, and I can't seem to find the source
for uudecode on the net, or a description of what the files have to look
like.

Any assistance would be appreciated (including the source for the
uudecode program, if you have that lying around).

Paul