Re: [SLUG] Can't mount NFS drives

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 13:56:21 EDT

Ian Blenke wrote:

> Andrew M Hoerter wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Paul M Foster wrote:
>>

>>> I've got a machine I'm converting over from RH6.2 to Debian 3.0r1. I've
>>> set this machine to export three directories via NFS, like this (in the
>>> /etc/exports file):
>>>
>>> /mnt/lists *(rw,insecure,no_root_squash)
>>

> Try the following:
>
> client$ rpcinfo -p server
>
> Do you see mountd? if not, RPC is being blocked (or portmap isn't
> running). Make sure portmap is running on the server, and that the
> connection isn't being rejected by /etc/hosts.deny (try putting "ALL:
> ALL" in /etc/hosts.allow), and that the UDP packets aren't being
> blocked by a firewalling ruleset (port 111, 2048, etc)
>
> If you see mountd, try the following:
>
> client$ showmount -e server
>
> Do you see the exported filesystems? If not, fix any typos in
> /etc/exports, restart your nfs services, and try again.
>
> /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
>
> Is everyone in the list? If not, what about the client? If showmount
> doesn't show an appropriately exported filesystem, fix your
> /etc/exports file and bounce your mountd:
>
> $ exportfs -a
>
> Let us know where things stop working... then we can debug further.

    And from personal experience, double check your exports file for
spelling/capitalization errors. I nearly pulled all of my hair out once
by not catching the fact that my exports file read "Redhat" while the
directory was spelled "RedHat". :-[ It is an easy mistake to
overlook, and it generates exactly the same error message that you are
getting.

    Jeff