RE: [SLUG] RE: IDE caching controller

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 11:51:43 EDT

> May seem like a stupid question. Linux swap space. Can the mount point
> be
> moved (say to a larger high speed drive?
Yes, easily. swapon and swapoff to do it manually, else modify /etc/fstab.

> My interim solution needs to be
> quick and semi-painless without changing drives. The server's HD is
> obviously being hammered during accessing (initial loading and use) of
> this
> multiuser application. The developers should have used SQL for their DB
> engine.
Ugh, I have one as bad or worse - there's MS SQL on the backend (hooray
sql slammer), some kind of halfass java and xml-based middleware which
passes all the marked-up data *uncompressed* (up to 1MB for a single,
simple transaction), and a terrible web frontend that, afaik, doesn't
render correctly in any browser known to man.

Levi