Re: [SLUG] RE: IDE caching controller

From: thor_consulting@yahoo.com
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 12:35:46 EDT

that's what more RAM will help out with

you should not be swapping all that much and a sar report will tell you
where things are slowing down.

establishing some benchmarks and doing some performance tuning is the best
way to proceed.

if hot, fast and cheap is the way you need to go then i suggest first that
you really need to tighten things up on the server - like limiting
extraneous processing and removing other miscellaneous crap that's running.

only kernel and samba processes should be the only things running; anything
else is wasting memory and CPU cycles and NO X desktops.

X is the biggest waste of system resources and it will ruin performance.

fileservers have to be tweaked different than process/compute servers and
unless they are way overpowered then performing as both is verboten.

next try Samba Performance Tuning
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb_01.html)

and then when you establish that extra memory will improve performance you
will be able to justify it with the PHB's.

good luck,
thor