Re: [SLUG] Satellite Access

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 09:16:41 EDT

>...DSL can't reach my area just yet.
>
>However, when it does I am switching because you don't need to have an active phone line anymore (accoring to Dustin at Rapid Systems) and they have a local company that does IP phone similar to Vonage...and all of that is even less than I am paying now.

I thought about going the "VoIP only"' route, but decided not to for the
following reasons:

1) Voice quality deteriorates rapidly if you're doing a big download
while trying to talk on the phone

2) I am a *massive* long distance user, what with phone interviews for
stories + corporate conferences, so I need "unlimited" LD, not X # of
minutes per month.

3) Since I work on the Internet, it makes me uncomfortable to go without
dialup as backup, so I need to maintain a POTS line. I am a bit worried
about Verizon as my single voice/ supplier, but I can always revert to
my AT&T cell phone (and use it - slowly - for data, too) if Verizon
voice + DSL both stop working. I am a serious believer in
redunancy/backup systems. (This belief has saved my butt many times over
the years.)

If I worked in an office, instead of from home, I might go the pure VoIP
route, with cell phone as backup.

Different people have different needs. That's why I prize consumer
choice over monopolies as much as I do. :)

- Robin