Re: [SLUG] Want system to reread /etc/hosts, opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

From: Daniel Holth (dholth@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 19:46:02 EDT

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 16:02, John Clay wrote:
> Redhat 7.3 with Linux Terminal Server Project

Very nice. I've used it too, turns a (possibly diskless) machine into a
thin client. Perhaps you are also using the expeditious etherboot or
(for newer machines) the blessedly built-in PXE?

Are you concerned about having to restart the terminal, or the server?

lts.conf is one of the initialization files for the terminal, not the
server. /etc/hosts is reread just as soon as you update it.

You will have to restart only the terminal to re-read lts.conf which
does nice things like determine which modules a particular terminal must
load on startup.

If you're trying to add a terminal to your network and are using dhcp,
you will need to edit dhcpd.conf and restart dhcp (on debian:
/etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart, the config file is
/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf)

With my setup, I add the new terminal's IP address to /etc/hosts and add
a dhcpcd.conf entry like this:

   host prawn {
      hardware ethernet 00:10:b5:69:bb:55;
        fixed-address prawn;
        filename "/lts/vmlinuz-2.4.19-ltsp-1";
   }

containing the MAC address and hostname of the new terminal. The dhcp
server won't read these updates until it is restarted.

- Daniel Holth
  http://dingoskidneys.com