[SLUG] Eigenradio - statistically optimal music

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 20:48:33 EDT

It runs on Linux or I wouldn't post about this here...

I promised a couple of guys at the alt.sarasota meeting (theme: "good
beer is worth paying for") I'd turn them on to this fine site that
"...plays only the most important frequencies, only the beats with the
highest entropy. If you took a bunch of music and asked it, "Music, what
are you, really?" you'd hear Eigenradio singing back at you. When you're
tuned in to Eigenradio, you always know that you're hearing the latest,
rawest, most statistically separable thing you can possibly put in your
ear."

Too bad Logan wimped out because of a messed-up car window, or I'd tell
him about this too, especially if he'd please resend the URL for zamba?
zanga? xombo.com? Anyway, whatever it was, that I've lost and now can't
find and wish I could. :(

But back to Eigenradio...

"Eigenradio makes its optimal music by analyzing in real time dozens of
radio stations at once. When our bank of computers has heard enough
music, it will go to work on making more just like it. Since we listen
to so much music all the time, Eigenradio is always on and always live.
What you hear on Eigenradio is the best of the New Music, distilled and
de-correlated. One song on Eigenradio is worth at least twenty songs on
old radio."

The problem with free operating systems is that they give people with
too much time on their hands the ability to waste processors on this
sort of thing. Or is it a waste? Decide for yourself -- but make sure
you listen for at least 15 minutes first to get the full effect. It
changes consantly...

http://eigenradio.media.mit.edu/

- Robin