[SLUG] How do I uninstall and reinstall a Debian package

From: Michael Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 05:06:25 EDT

I have a package "exim" that I believe is not
configured or installed properly as my previous Debian
install exim was working and using the same config
files on this install it is not working. So I decided
to install sendmail.

But "apt-get remove exim"

wants to remove half my system, Well 10 to be exact.
Why can't I have a web server with out an MTA or at or
any of the others for that matter? I realise they send
emails but what if I just wanted to remove exim and
install sendmail?

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apache at exim logrotate mailagent mailx mutt samba
webmin-apache webmin-samba

=====