Re: [SLUG] Debian help with errors in daemon.log

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 10:42:01 EDT

> I know the following error is related to the real time
> clock module but don't know why or how to get it
> working. Any insite here would be appricated. Unless
> of courese it's not needed and I can just comment it
> out of the modules.conf file.
> Sep 3 22:00:05 tango modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
> module char-major-10-135
Debian has an annoying habit of aliasing readable driver names
(rtc,snd-via686a,...) to silly ones based on the device files in /dev
(char-major-10-135,...). It's pretty harmless, though.

> Why do I not have a xinetd.conf file? I have a
> inetd.conf file can I copy this to xinetd.conf? Should
> I just uninstall xinetd and use inetd? Do I need both
> or just one of them?
> Sep 3 22:01:16 tango xinetd[355]: open(
> /etc/xinetd.conf ) failed: No such file or directory
> (e
> rrno = 2)
> Sep 3 22:01:16 tango xinetd[355]: {init_services}
> couldn't get configuration. Exiting...
> Sep 4 05:39:31 tango xinetd[898]: open(
> /etc/xinetd.conf ) failed: No such file or directory
> (e
> rrno = 2)
> Sep 4 05:39:31 tango xinetd[898]: {init_services}
> couldn't get configuration. Exiting...
First, I think it's bad to have both xinetd and inetd installed. AFAIK,
xinetd.conf does not use the same format as inetd.conf. xinetd is an
inetd replacement developed mainly by/for redhat, and I don't know much
about it except that people who are used to one tend to have trouble with
the other.

> I think once I get these issues resolved my nfs and
> imap should work (I hope). Shouldn't Debian created a
> xinetd.conf file when it installed xinetd?
That is actually the responsibility of the package itself. If the xinetd
package doesn't have a default xinetd.conf in it, then the file doesn't
get installed. You can check the contents of a package by running `dpkg
--contents whatever.deb` , or search for a file in the DB of installed
packages with `dpkg -S /etc/whatever.conf` .

HTH,
Levi