Re: [SLUG] GnuCash

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 00:03:40 EDT

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 04:13:29PM +0200, Maurice Wilson wrote:

> I am pretty much a newbee though I have been using Mandrake for about a
> year. I have been trying to get a good Debian install off and on for
> quite some time. Finally pulled it off using the latest Knoppix.
> The only two items I need are GnuCash and Real player.
> Can I use apt-get to install GnuCash and if so what are the commands.
> The GnuCash website is not too clear. Thanks for any help. Maury

You can try dselect or aptitude, which are more gentle than command line
tools like apt-get. These programs will show you unsatisfied
dependencies (which for gnucash may be extensive). When you open these
programs, you can search for gnucash by typing '/' and then 'gnucash'.

A word of caution. What _any_ of these programs come up with depends on
what's in your /etc/apt/sources.list. This is the file that tells the
debian installers what's available and where on the net to go find it.
However, there are some wrinkles to that. Debian has three
distributions: stable (woody), testing (sarge), and unstable (sid).
Normally, a Debian user would stick to one of these distributions and
pull his packages from there. However, I believe that Knoppix pulls its
packages from all three archives. If that's true, then you'll have more
fun than you'd ever want trying to update and install packages. As you
can imagine, the same packages (different versions) will exist in all
three distributions. And you normally can't mix and match them; a
package out of sarge will expect libraries and such to come from sarge.
Getting packages on which package 'A' depends from a different
distribution may well mean that package A won't work. That may be the
origin of why Gnucash won't install for you. (Gnucash also has more
dependencies than most other packages.)

Paul