Re: [SLUG] IBM's Linux TV Commercial

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 12:58:12 EDT

>http://news.netcraft.com/

These are *server software* stats, not OS numbers. Apache is the
far-and-away most popular server, and has been for years. Apache runs on
Windows, too, you know.

There's also the "server" thing. Only a small minority of servers face
the WWW.

And even on the WWW, there are secondary delivery means to consider,
like Microsoft outsourcing end delivery of many of its pages to Akamia,
which runs on Linux (and was the world's largest purchaser of VA Linux
hardware before the dot-bust), but still using IIS on the company's own
servers that send the requested pages to Akamai for redistribution so
Netcraft "sees" Linux as the server OS but IIS as the server software.

Then, once again on the WWW, there's the "number of servers running ___"
vs. "number of sites running ___" question. I have a total of 3 sites
right now, and all of them are on shared servers that use vitual IPs --
and all servers that run Linux/Apache, btw.

So if tripod changes server software or operating system there's a big
statistical shift in the number of sites running on whicher one, while
if Yahoo or eBay change, only one site is affected with each change. But
Yahoo and eBay both run more *Web servers* than tripod, so you get a
whole different stat set.

A lot of my reporting work comes down to evaluating statistics and other
numbers. It's a pain in the ass, and takes constant learning to get right.

In fact, tomorrow - Sat I'll be in Tampa at the Society of Professional
Journalists' national convention, attending seminars on business
reporting and how to interpret financial numbers.

Sometimes I wish I was a programmer. Easier in many ways.... :)

- R