Re: [SLUG] IBM's Linux TV Commercial

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 19:03:29 EDT

>While transistors are certainly snazzier than tubes, I seem to recall
>American engineers sneering at MIG's with tubes in them...until they
>realized that these MIGs would sustain a massive EMP. (at which point
>they stopped laughing)

Except the MIG systems weren't made very well, especially the
countermeasures ones, and hardened IC-based systems were just as able to
withstand EMP. I'm an old Tempest-meister, so I know about this kind of
stuff in great detail. More detail, indeed, than I can tell you about.

>Additionally, in a post-nuclear age, survivors may find slide rules
>useful after their calculator batteries die...unless they're lucky
>enough to find a working solar powered calculator.
>
>Of what use is a Windows server? [grin]

Well, Matt, after The Nuclear Holocaust, when you and I are making our
scant living fishing from the deck of my 15' sailboat, that Windows
server will be an excellent anchor for some of our trotlines.

- R