Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 11:14:22 EDT

Matt Moen wrote:
> Thus spake Eric Jahn on the 11 day of the 09 month in the year 2003:
>

>>I am also in the process of installing Debian. I'll be doing a net install of
>>Sid because I <have> to have KDE 3.1 or greater installed. I'm wondering how
>>stable that is. By the way, I'm not using Knoppix, but what method did you
>>use to get Knoppix to hand itself over to the Debian install? Thanks!

You may use Debian sources in /etc/apt/sources.list. There may be issues
across Debian based distributions, depending on various factors.

> Have you ever watched Toy Story. Debian Sid is about as stable as the
> character in that movie. As an added bonus, Debian Sid sometimes
> spontaneously combusts!
>
> If you want newer stuff, try unstable (currently Sarge). Or Knoppix, or
> build KDE yourself and install into /usr/local.

I have KDE 3.1 on woody (stable) here at the office. If you want the
latest stuff with only a minor chance of everything combusting, consider
using sarge (testing). Only Debian developers or hardcore Linux hacks
should even consider sid.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: