Re: [SLUG] Debian Drive Mounting

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 14:58:54 EDT

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Levi Bard wrote:

> > I would vote for the other approach -- change the mount point to
> > /mnt/cdrom and make /cdrom a link to /mnt/cdrom , as the GUI might ask
> > the system whether anything is mounted on /mnt/cdrom (the answer would
> > always be "no, it's a link"). To do this,
> If the GUI mounts to /mnt/cdrom , the mount point should show as
> /mnt/cdrom regardless of whether it's a link or a directory.

Son of a gun, you're right:

[root@pc mnt]# ls -ld testdir
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Sep 16 14:48 testdir -> cdrom
[root@pc mnt]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom testdir -o ro
[root@pc mnt]# mount | grep cdrom
/dev/cdrom on /mnt/testdir type iso9660 (ro)

> > Or tell the GUI that the mount point in question is /cdrom , which is
> > probably the best solution. Heck if I know how to do that, as I've never
> > used Gnome and have used KDE only briefly (5 years ago on HP-UX doesn't
> > count).
> I agree that the GUI shouldn't make assumptions about mount points in the
> first place. The only thing about changing one user's GUI settings is
> that it leaves the system broken for everybody else, since a mount point
> is a system-wide thing.

... if there are any other users. *nix systems are more often single-user
(or primarily single-user) these days.

Besides, if he's lucky, there's sort of 'global prefs'.

Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic
communication?  Consider this: A: No
                               Q: Can I top post? from nick@xx.co.uk