[SLUG] DSL Update

From: A2L1 (A2L1@gte.net)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 23:09:06 EDT

This is just an update for those who care --- I researched
all the local carriers because I wanted a local number to
call or drive to if there was a problem. Nothing like
staring them in the eye when there is a dispute or service
problem. Anyway I found a local family operation thats been
around for a few years. TampaBayDSL.com
I asked if there was a problem with me running Linux--- no
problem
I asked if there was a problem with using a router/firewall
- ---- They even offer one with some of their programs
I asked if there was a problem with running a server --if I
didnt mind dhcp but for an additional 10 bucks I could have
a static IP and run a server --- they even offered to host
if I wanted space and their server(additional of course)
but no problem with me running one.
They were great on the phone and have a 24/7 support ----
real person type, and email support as well. I had a few
more questions and they were honest and very helpful.
When the modem arrived I did the hook up and ran through a
router to another router and everything is running smooth,
and believe it or not, faster than the cable.
I disconnected everything and then had my wife call them and
walk her through a complete install. They did this with no
remarks or comments and were more than helpful because she
actually hooked up the modem and the routers and set the
boxes --- we are talking my wife, the woman who asked me
what is this thingy with all the wires called, and she
wasnt flustered they walked her through every step.
This service comes with 10 email boxes , yes 10 email boxes
supported by them with web access.
All this for 40 bucks a month ---total, no verizon charges
or any of that just a flat forty bucks. So if anyone is
looking for a good loacl company to provide broadband I
might suggect that you give these people a look. Its only
been a week but I am a very happy camper and they have
treated me way better than verizon or roadrunner ever did,
and that includes verizon dsl ( I tried that too)
Almost forgot I am on the newsgroups like a dog in heat and
these guys offer a list that is way larger than any ever
offered by either roadrunner or gte---there is a ton of
different groups :)
They also have domain registration and alot of other stuff
that I am not interested in or know enough about to say if
the rates are good or not.
Well thats it.

A J
- --