Re: [SLUG] startup script

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 20:15:24 EDT

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, ethan zimmerman wrote:

> I edited my /etc/rc.d/rc.local to look like this
>
> -------------------------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> gpilotd
> -------------------------
>
> but it didn't work. When does this script run? The g in gpilotd stands
> for GNOME. Does this script run before GNOME loads? also I have no clue
> what the 'touch' line does maybe I was suppossed to put gpilod before
> that line.
>
> any ideas?

Hm, if it depends on Gnome being running, and Gnome runs for each session
(not a global daemon), then you need to make it run when you start Gnome
(and kill it when you stop Gnome). Maybe add "{sleep 2 ; gpilotd; } &" to
~/.xsession just before it calls Gnome? This may be way off, as I don't
use Gnome. If Gnome has a list of "processes I want to run every session"
that would be even better.

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. -Oscar Wilde