Re: [SLUG] DSL Update

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 14:02:09 EDT

On Monday 22 September 2003 10:20 am, you wrote:
> Speed is only one factor.
>
> Does your cable providr block ports? Do they allow static IPs?
>
> (Note: Speed tends to decrease on cable when the neighborhood gets
> oversold.)

To have higher bandwidth on DSL you need to be CLOSE to the Central Office to
have anything like most cable. I always have at least 300KB or 2.4 Mbits down
(RR). At my office I see 5Mb peaks at times. (9Mb being the maximum on the
cable.)

There are always some exceptions where f.ex. DSL is faster than cable (dollar
for dollar) but these days they are far and few in between.

The only thing that really matters is that you get the best deal that you can
in your area. Some will have bad experiences with people and technology.

RR have been pretty good on not overselling anymore. They know that the DSL
business is theirs to take. Provided they don't oversell. A few areas will no
doubt have too many customers, but usually they are on a plan to be upgraded
anyway.

--
Steve

__________________________________________________ I hear SCO are closing their doors soon, let's turn their offices into an OpenSource library! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.