Re: [SLUG] where's the address?

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 10:15:09 EDT

> I rebuilt the kernel to get the USB going, but lost email and browser.
> ifconfig does not contain a inet addr:
> etho found during boot
> What do I check/change to resolve this?

First browse through /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog for error
messages related to networking.

Double-check that you built support for your ethernet card, either by
browsing through `make menuconfig` or `make xconfig` , or by searching
through .config in your toplevel kernel source directory. If you built it
as a module, make sure the module is getting loaded at boot (in debian you
add the module's name to /etc/modules ). Sometimes certain dhcp clients
require that certain (not entirely obvious) networking-related options be
enabled in the kernel as well.

Levi