[SLUG] Verisign Annoyance?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 22:52:00 EDT

I've been casually reading about this hijacking that Versign's been
doing on the DNS front (redirecting to their SiteFinder site). I decided
to see if I could do something about blocking this at my network. So I
inserted a rule in my iptables to block incoming traffic from their
sitefinder IP address. In other words, if you misspelled a domain name
(what they're counting on), you'd get a packet burst back from their
sitefinder IP, which would get dropped at the firewall.

At the browser, this produces an almost immediate timeout. I started
looking at the log entries (I had a log target before this). I noticed
that I was getting several ACK/SYN packets back from them that were
getting dropped. This got me to thinking. I don't know much about TCP/IP
session negotiation, but as I recall, when you attempt to start a TCP
session, you send a syn packet with a sequence number, and then there's
a syn/ack response with their sequence number. Something like that.

So what happens if you start a session with Verisign's sitefinder
(because of a misspelled web address) and they send a response that
drops at the firewall? Seems like I've heard this is the basis for some
DOS attacks. The server holds the connection open, waiting for a
response, which ties up its TCP/IP stack, right?

Is this the way this would work? I'm not advocating DOS attacks against
Verisign, but if this tactic innocently produces a similar effect, I
wouldn't be disappointed.

Paul

P.S. The IP for sitefinder (until they change it) is: 64.94.110.11.