Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Sizes...Bare Metal Restore

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 13:16:03 EDT

> It depends. There are geometry issues that can cause confusion. Things
> like booting booting may be impacted (different BIOS representations of
> geometries of drives causes int13 calls to return incorrect blocks
> during bootstrap, particularly in older BIOSes). Geometry changes also
> tend to cause fdisk to report incorrect partition tables, and tend to
> confuse the admin.
>
> We commonly use larger drives to replace smaller drives in a software
> RAID1 mirror-set when replacing older drives that are out of inventory.
> The difference here is that the software RAID metadevice "hides" the
> BIOS geometry somewhat from the user and bootstrap.
>
> If your image creation takes a snapshot of the drive partitioning, and
> restores it correctly when doing the rebuild, Linux will only see the
> origional partition sizes (potentially with arcane C/H/S issues in
> fdisk, depending on geometry differences due to your BIOS).
>
> With newer BIOSes, LBA32 in lilo/grub, and newer versions of fdisk less
> likely to report geometry errors, I think many of these issues go away.

I thought Linux saw the drives on its own, without input from the BIOS. I had an old packard bell machine that had to have some seagate utility installed over the bootloader because the BIOS wouldn't deal with anything over 2G (when I had win 3.1 or some such on it). At some point, the disk utility got corrupted, but Linux never cared about it one way or the other.

Levi