Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Sizes...Bare Metal Restore

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 16:42:25 EDT

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Ian Blenke wrote:

> As long as your stage1/2 bootstraps and boot kernel are located below
> that 2G limit (on the first partition on the disk, for example), there
> should be no problems.

I don't think truly modern BIOSes are have a limit at 2GB, 1024 cylinders,
128GB, or whatever. I used to have a 486 whose BIOS wouldn't handle its
700M disk. Linux was fine with it, but I had to repartition or boot from
a floppy (I chose the floppy). My BIOS recognizes my disk's full
capacity, but / is still very small (<2GB), out of habit. It could
probably boot off the whole disk as one partition, but I haven't tested
that,

CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the
rest of the week face down in the mud.  Try not to shove a roll of
duct tape up your nose when taking your driver's test.  -- Weird Al