Re: [SLUG] Linux Servers

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 14:52:10 EDT

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 10:48 US/Eastern, Matt Miller wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with penguincomputing.com, eracks.com or
> any other Linux server companies?

I bought a 1U Penguin Computing rackmount box about 3.5 years ago.

The parts that went into it were good (Intel motherboard, Quantum
disk), but the quality of the case itself was very poor. The rackmount
ears had little flanges in front of the screw holes, so you'd have to
tilt the screwdriver at an awkward angle to bolt the thing into a rack.
  Really annoying and totally superfluous. The inside of the case was
the usual sharp-edges-chaotic-mess I've come to expect of PC hardware;
Dell does a much better job these days.

Anyway, that was some time ago, perhaps they've improved.

Personally I'd go with Dell, as I've had good experiences with their
rackmount gear and the hardware seems to solid.