Re: [SLUG] Linux Servers

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 13:04:21 EDT

> Anyone have any experience with penguincomputing.com, eracks.com or any other
> Linux server companies?

We've got a Penguin Relion 240, so I can tell you about that.

They've been trying to fix it so that it doesn't shut itself off for no good
reason. Everything they've tried has been reasonable: replace the entire power
supply assembly including both of the redundant power supplies and the box the
slide into, replace the motherboard, etc. Currently they're building us a
complete replacement and we're just going to swap the hard drives as soon as the
replacement arrives.

I'm still upbeat about Penguin even though this particular server has given me a
headache, because Penguin has consistently done advance replacements with
overnight shipping and has not hesitated to do whatever it takes to solve the
problem.

Meanwhile, if anyone would like to help me investigate why it's doing this, I'd
be glad to try anything you suggest. It just powers down, and I go into the
server room and unplug both power supplies for 10 seconds or so, then plug them
back in. (If I just pull them out for one second, it won't power back on -- I
assume there are studly capacitors in there so that you could *swap* the power
cables in midair if you had to.)

I haven't seen anything interesting in logfiles, but I might be looking in the
wrong logfiles or failing to understand what 'interesting' looks like.

Any ideas?

Ben