Re: [SLUG] Kernel Degisnations

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 13:34:32 EDT

On Friday 10 October 2003 13:05, Eben King wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> > On Friday 10 October 2003 06:38, Justin Keyes wrote:

> > > go to kernel.org, first page, look at the various abbreviations
> > > next to the releases and it will explain it if you click the links.
> >
> > But! I only have links for RC or prepatch.
> > I do not have links for the other 2 nor any indication of what the order
> > is.
>
> How does not having direct links stop you from going to a web site?

Ok! I will be very specific.

On the"Linux Kernel Archives" at:
http://www.kernel.org/
there is a list of the current latest available kernels.

The latest prepatch for the stable Linux kernel tree is:
2.4.23-pre7
BUT! The word prepatch is linked to rc which is release candidate.

The latest prepatch for the 2.0 Linux kernel tree is:
2.0.40-rc6
Which is defined if one clicks on the word prepatch as:
Prepatches with -rc in the name are considered release candidates and may
become full versions. It is therefore particularly important that those get
tested.

 The latest beta version of the Linux kernel is:
2.6.0-test7
BUT! There is no definition of what test means.
The word BETA is not linked to a definition.

Frank