Re: [SLUG] Looking for good resources

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (MrPeaceful@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 11:51:47 EDT

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 11:05, Ian Blenke wrote:
> cpace@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> > I did not get any replies to this message so I'm
> > assuming nobody has any good references for me or
> > that nobody noticed. I'm re-sending just to see if
> > it was the latter of the two reasons. If anyone has
> > any information it would be greatly and sincerely
> > appreciated.
>
> Without upgrading hardware further...
>
> 1) To tweak for your CPU and hardware:
> - Recompile your kernel, optimized for your native processor
> - Compile in only drivers for hardware in your box if possible.
> - Update to the latest drivers for your hardware
> - Consider patches on http://www.kernelnewbies.org
> - Getting the correct patches for your hardware will impact performance.
> (figuring this out can be a pain)
> 2) To speed up Disk writes
> - Use hdparm to optimize your IDE drive I/O.
> - Use a high-performance filesystem.
> - Use RAID striping, if you can
> 3) If you're seting up a gaming workstation...
> - Find the latest 3d drivers from your graphic card vendor (nVidia, ATI,
> etc).
> - Tweaking your XFree86 for a given chipset is still a relatively black
> art, depending on the hardware's age.
> 4) Optimize your running system
> - Use something like Powertweak (http://powertweak.sf.net) to tweak your
> PCI bus, VM thresholds, etc.
> - /proc/sys (and sysctl) are your friends
>
> Hope this gives you somewhere to start. Honestly, I don't know of a
> single great "Linux optimization" site. Perhaps a googling is in order.
>
> - Ian

I concur with all of Ian's statements here, in addition, a quick google
search returned a nice site on tuning network performance, in ways other
than simply raising your MTU:
http://www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html#Linux

In addition, I haven't had any problems with the new development kernels
yet, though the upgrade process can be what some would describe as a
headache. If you like the challenge or if you just like living on the
bleeding edge you may want to compile a 2.6.0-test6 kernel. There are a
number of good tutorials on how to go about doing this, and there is a
patch for said nVidia drivers at http://www.minion.de

--
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
		-- Mark Twain