Re: [SLUG] Registrant for domains

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 12:13:01 EDT

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Paul Wilson wrote:

> I found most clients could not understand the Network Solutions emails and
> none of them could successfully complete a renewal. Since they usually
> waited till the last day to call me and tell me they had failed, this
> required a quick trip to their site so I could send the email for them.
> [...]
> Being hardheaded, I decided that NetSol was the main culprit and continued
> registering new sites in the clients name. Many times a web site still did
> not get renewed because the owner put it off and then forgot about it.

Considering that many registration companies offer web-based interfaces to
handle domain modifications, it seems like you could have the best of both
worlds -- domains are registered directly to customers in a legal sense,
but you have access to the maintainance webpage to handle renewals,
changes, etc. The customer could either have a credit card on file with
the registration company, or you could back-bill them for it. Either way
you have the necessary control but the customer has their last-resort
"out" in case they are unhappy with you for some reason.