[SLUG] Really an Odd One,,

From: Rock (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 10:16:47 EDT

Put your hats on for this one,,

I have a shell script program that when I run it as root the program
works flawlessly. So, I put it in cron to run every hour. When cron
runs the program it appears to screw up a simple cp command and the
results are not what I expect.

What ends up being copied is not what is in the file to be copied, but
rather it seems to copy a file that is a part of the finished file. If
that makes sense. I manipulate data until it is in the form that I want
and then copy the finished data file to another directory for use.

Run from a command line as root, the programs works just fine.

I chmod'd the files to go+w so everyone could write and then even
chgrp'd to uucp.

I have a feeling that somehow when cron executes it lacks some of the
ability of root when running programs.

Any ideas?

Michael C. Rock
Systems Analyst
Registered Linux User # 287973

"The time has come the walrus said to speak of many things,,"
"Christians give up what they cannot keep to gain what they cannot lose"