RE: [SLUG] Really an Odd One,,

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 11:50:00 EDT

> I have a record of every fax sent from this location. Each record
> represents on line in a very large file. That data is used to route
> incoming faxes to the last person who had fax contact with that same fax
> number.
>
> In testing, I have a single outgoing fax contact which I add to the
> outgoing faxes file and then copy that file to the directory where it is
> used to route faxes.
>
> What is ending up in the final destination is not the complete file but
> rather the single entry that I am updating the file with.

Can you post the script or a link to it? Your application is overwriting
the file rather than appending. Or maybe it's supposed to run as a daemon
and is getting restarted?

Try putting a 'set -x' near the top of your script then sending output and
errors to a separate file. E.g., add:

  #!/bin/sh
  set -x
  exec 1>"/tmp/outfile"

This can give you more information about what's happening.

--
The Digital Hermit      Unix and Linux Solutions
http://www.digitalhermit.com