[SLUG] The Story that you did today.

From: bpreece1 (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 21:29:30 EST

Robin thanks for this story and the kind words in your story you did.
Thought you would like to see this

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/27/2122243

We need more small Linux advocacy meetings

This was not a cheap event to attend. Complete passses to everything ran
nearly $1,000. I'd like to see a lower entry fee and more attendance, but
that's just me. I suppose, in an enterprise context, the cost of a couple of
Windows Server and IIS licenses is worth spending for a few of your company
executives who are considering a money-saving switch to Linux and in return
for that small sum can get advice from Moshe Bar and Don Becker about grid
and clustering options, plus a chance to meet with both marketing people and
techies from IBM, Oracle, HP, and other vendors that have many
enterprise-level, Linux-based offerings, not to mention a chance to hear
directly from other IT people who have already switched to Linux about the
problems and benefits they encountered as a result of the changeover.

It was good to see a conference devoted entirely to enterprise Linux held in
Washington, D.C., and I'd like to see other conferences with similar themes
held in Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, St. Louis, and other cities that
don't get public Linux hoopla very often.

I'd also like to see more "home grown" low-cost or free Linux advocacy
events in cities of all sizes, all over the world, along with more Linux
presence at local and regional "general" computer and IT shows. My local LUG
regularly gets involved with trade shows, primarily through the outstanding
efforts of member Bill Preece.

I heartily encourage others, all over the world, to follow in Bill's
footsteps, and we will certainly post notices about your event(s) here on
NewsForge to help spread the word.

Thanks
Bill Preece
bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com