Re: [SLUG] lil' help with SMB

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 11:28:26 EST

Austin Theen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 09:40, Eric Jahn wrote:
>
>>I can read but not write to my work's shared files with this line in my fstab:
>>
>>//Uwsrq1/SHARED /mnt/shared smbfs
>>username=something,password=something,rw,user 0 0
>>
>>The command line smbclient command can successfully write/read to the network
>>shared directory, so I know it's not a permissions thing. Any ideas on how
>>can I modify my fstab to make this work? Thank you!
>
> Does your user have write permissions to the stub /mnt/shared or atleast
> group user write permissions?
>
> That's bitten me a few times in the past.

By default, smbmount mounts the filesystem owned by root/root. If you
want a user to read/write to it, consider using a different uid/gid or a
more open fmask/dmask, ie:

//Uwsrq1/SHARED /mnt/shared smbfs
username=something,password=something,rw,user,uid=500,gid=500,fmask=777,dmask=777
0 0

Unfortunately, smbfs doesn't have a way to map local usernames to remote
  owners or handle permissions outside of the security credentials
established by the SMB mount. Everything done on that filesystem is
accomplished as "username=something", you need to use the
uid/gid/fmask/dmask options to change the illusion of Unix
ownership/permissions of the mounted filesystem.

Hope this helps.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: