Re: [SLUG] question

From: Justin Keyes (twitch@port0.net)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 03:02:02 EST

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:25:45 -0500
"JamesS" <penroses@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I left the side cover off the Mandrake box. Now i notice that there is a lot
> of hard drive activity even when i am not messing with the puter for a
> while. Is this normal? It will go quiet for a few minutes then start making
> noise for a while then stop for a little while and start again. This is
> bugging me.

Those are just scheduled jobs that the OS does for you while you're not using the
computer. They are scheduled to run when there is little other activity, so that
they don't slow down your normal user experience. Hard-drive intensive programs
such as updatedb and other things, are a particular bottleneck.

--
Justin Keyes             twitch ---at--- port0 ---dot--- net

Americans have come to believe that congress can do anything that is wonderful; anything that has a majority vote. --Walter Williams ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.