Re: [SLUG] breathing new life into old hardware

From: Mark Banschbach (mrbear37@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 08:09:48 EST

Hi Ethan !

   I will 2nd Ian's call.. if you have played with
Linux for a while then Debian is a great distro for
what you want.

  I have a 486-33 with a 800 Meg HD.. and 24 megs of
RAM. This machine uses Fluxbox for a desktop and has
Debian "woody" on it currently.

   My particular laptop has no CD rom therefore I had
to go through the rather painful process of loading
all 30 floppies which took sometime but the end result
was awesome ! After you get the install done I
would stick with the lighter weight applications..
AbiWord is the processor I have on that machine.. I
have X-siag for a spreadsheet. Impress for
presentations. Gullo ( I think that is right) for a
browser.. and quite a few card games.. a pool game.. 2
flight sims ( sorta painful graphics but it works)..
a Pac man clone and a database called Gaby.

  I love that machine.. and take it with me where I
can.. and although it takes a while to boot.. after
its up.. its about as fast as most of the win2K
machines.. I take it to Borders with me occasionally
and some of the people who are there with more modern
machines peek around at my laptop and occasionally ask
what I have on it.. etc. Now all I need is a bigger
HD for it..

Hope that helps !

Mark

employees.