Re: [SLUG] mirrored directory

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 16:33:43 EST

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Eric Jahn wrote:

> > > 'rsync' comes to mind, but I've never used it.
> >
> > I second the rsync motion.

> The only problem I can foresee with rsync is that according to the man page
> for rsync, "rsync must be installed on both the source and destination
> machines", but the source machine is <gasp> winders 2000 and I don't have
> easy access to it (or want to). Is there a way around this requirement or a
> next-best solution?

If the local machine is W2K, that's easy (right-click, new -> briefcase).
If the file server is W2K, hmm, back to "cp -a", or maybe compare
modification dates and cp in the appropriate direction? You could make it
a bit faster by comparing filesizes and mod times and not copying if
they're the same. md5sum uses the same bandwidth as cp, I believe.

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN