Re: [SLUG] Cannot boot puter

From: Maureen L Thomas (res1ydl9@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 04:58:29 EST

Eben King wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
>

>>Eben King wrote:
>>

>>>Hmm, I don't use grub (I use lilo), so I might be way off base here. But
>>>my first guess is: This bit "(hd0,0)" looks like the first partition of
>>>the first hard drive, or hda1. For the linux kernel, you have "(hd0,2)",
>>>which by the same logic would be the third partition of the first hard
>>>drive, or hda3. Is that correct, and if so, is that the actual location
>>>of the kernel?
>>>

>>My /boot partition is hda3 which is where the kernel.h-2.4 etc is
>>located as well as the system map, vmlinuz, and initrd are. my /
>>partition is hda1. When I quiered the file system for the kernel it
>>came back with none, but if I go into the /boot directory they are both
>>there 2.4.22-10 and 2.4.22-21. I used the same disks to intall both my
>>laptop and my desktop and my laptop is fine.
>>

>Maybe something was just odd enough to make it throw a rod. Who knows; I
>don't trust installers as far as I can throw them.
>
>Guessing worked well so far, so I'll keep going. Your configuration file
>refers to (hd0,2)/vmlinuz (i.e. /boot/vmlinuz) and (hd0,0)/initrd.img
>(i.e. /initrd.img) . I'm suspicious of /initrd.img . Is this the
>locations of these two files? I think you just above said it's on /boot,
>which would make that (hd0,2) instead of (hd0,0).

Yes actually all three initrd are in /boot. I have initrd.img,
initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img and initrd-2.4.22-21mdk.img all in boot. It's
strange though because they look like packages that need to be installed
but without the rpm on the end. The initrd.img is a link file the other
two are not. Also while looking at the / dir there is one file in with
all the directories, initrd-2.4.22-21mdk.img, and it looks like a
package instead of a file also. I have a initrd dir under / but its
empty.