Re: [SLUG] Linux Distro for Cheapie Acer PC

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 11:52:48 EST

Another good one that I installed on an older laptop
is VectorLinux (www.vectorlinux.com). Its based on
Slackware 9.1 I believe and runs exceptionally fast
on older hardware. The Vector 4.0 comes with IceWM
natively and the SOHO gives you all the eyecandy
options (KDE 3.1 and extras). Only issue is that it
is a source based distro so installing additional
apps will require compiling. I will tell you that
this distro runs very, Very, VERY fast on my older
hardware (think P100's). Just another option for
you to be aware of. And I agree with Robin, Mepis
is also an excellent distro. I installed it on one
of my systems last night and have been very happy
with the experience thus far.

PeACE