Re: [SLUG] mainbaord recommendations

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:25:57 EST

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 01:41:07PM -0500, Grantham, Patrick wrote:

> Voofoo-Banshee 32MB video, 1Gig PC133 SDRAM, Realtek 10/100 nic, 2-40GB
> WD7200pm ide drive. Saound Blaster 128 audio.
>
> It was built has an experiement with a dual CPU machine.
> Suse 7.5
>
> I worry, that if I replace the motherboard with a difference brand the OS
> will get screwed up at boo time. My experience doing this with M$ has not
> been pleasant and I usually end up reinstalling the OS. Should I mot be
> concerned about this with Linux? Will a Linux install easily handle being
> booted on a different motherboard?

Problem 1: If your kernel is compiled for a different kind of CPU than
the one you install. It may not run right or be buggy.

Problem 2: If your OS loads modules for different hardware than what you
have, and it's not auto-detecting well. Like if you have a different NIC
now and the OS tries to load the driver for the old one, without sensing
and loading modules for the new one.

Paul