Re: [SLUG] Linux Distro for Cheapie Acer PC

From: gnorb@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 22:03:27 EST

Good cheapie distribution = older version of Mandrake is probably your best bet. By "older" I mean like 7.1 (probably my favorite mandrake distro), although you can use later if you want. Later versions, I've noticed, will make assumptions about the kind of horse power you should have, so I don't recomend you install something like RH9, unless you plan to use something other than KDE or Gnome.

"Hardware of a time period should be accompanied by the software of that time period." Not always the case, but in this case probably prudent. If you can find a copy of Stormix (come to think of it, I think I have one somewhere around here), you can always go ahead and Debian-ize it with the parts you want.

Finally, if you just want something to plop in there, ASP Linux (http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=25) has worked surprisingly well for me.

Gnorb

My girlfriend's Windows 98 had the digital equivalent to a stroke, and I ran