Re: [SLUG] Mounting an remote share

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 13:53:21 EST

> ok and how is this done a boottime? i'm seeing "mount -t smbfs..." how
> is this accomplished for mounting when the machine boots up?

here's my currently functioning fstab line to make this work (with names/
passwords changed to protect the innocent):

//Workserver/SHARED /mnt/shared smbfs
username=myboringusername,password=myboringpassword,rw,uid=500 0 0

then, make sure your executable file smbmnt (mine is symbolically linked from
usr/bin/smbmnt, but really lives at /usr/lib/samba/classic) is setuid root or
the whole thing also may not work.

and make sure your mount stub at /mnt/shared or /mnt/whatever_yours_is_called
has its permission set to allow non-root use, or else this will only work
from root. I use the permissions -rwxrwx---

then run (at least on my distro suse 9)
"/etc/init.d/smbfs start" (or use "restart" instead of "start") to get it
going without rebooting.