Re: [SLUG] backup drive

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 00:44:43 EST

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Paul M Foster wrote:

> In fact, this could be a problem if errors crop up on your source drive,
> necessitating e2fsck. Those won't be fixed on your target drive until
> your next image copy.

Yes, that'll be a problem. If the main drive gets errors, cron still
makes the copy, and then the main drive dies before the copy after the
I fix the errors, I'll be screwed.

> If you weren't trying to compensate for repartitioning and the like, I'd
> say rsync is your best bet. I use it extensively, and it will keep
> things completely in sync between the two drives.

I wish I could use it. It sounds very efficient.

AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the
back of a speeding bus.  Fill the void in your pathetic life by playing
Whack-a-Mole 17 hours a day.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_