Re: [SLUG] firewall gurus, help please!

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 17:44:02 EST

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Eben King wrote:

> OK. I've screwed up traceroute somehow. It worked under my previous
> router (ipchains, Linux 2.0.x, P75), but I just checked it under my new
> router (USR 8054), and it doesn't. From the inside, I get something like

To make traceroute work from the inside to the outside, you need the
firewall to do two things:

1) Pass the outgoing UDP probe packets (they are usually addressed to port
   33434 but this can vary depending on the traceroute client)

2) Maintain state for the probe packets, so that ICMP messages sent in
   response to them are properly passed back in to the client

As an alternative to #2, if your firewall software doesn't maintain state
properly, you can allow any ICMP port unreachable and time exceeded
messages back through.

Tracerouting from the outside to the inside is trickier. As in #1 above,
the destination UDP port used by the probe packets is variable. So you
basically have to pass all UDP traffic unless it's just a debugging tool
for yourself, and you can safely guarantee the port assignment. But
otherwise the same two issues above apply in reverse; the UDP probes have
to come in and the ICMP responses have to go back out (both from the
firewall and the machines behind it).

NAT, of course, confuses things further if you use it. But that's the
basic story on traceroute.