Re: [SLUG] /sbin/nologin

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 18:20:34 EST

On Monday 15 December 2003 14:56, cpace@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> When you say "work in a pinch" does that imply that there would
> be a better way? If so I would definitely be interested in

One issue is that traditionally /bin/false is a shell script,
usually using /bin/true. A cracker could break out of the shell,
causing a security problem. The /bin/false that comes with Linux is
a GNU compiled binary, and doesn't quite have that same security
concern. I got the impression from reading the man page of RedHat's
/sbin/nologin was that it was meant to disable an individual user
from logging in and is a separate program from /sbin/login, while
Slackware's /bin/login can use a config file /etc/nologin to
prevent *everyone* but root from logging in, in effect a general
"nologin". That may not be what you want (or it might?)...

I never knew there was a difference between the distros until you
asked! So the moral is to always study those man pages. From what I
can tell, there's no difference in using either one for a fake
shell for an account, other than the difference in binaries
supplied with a particular distro. But YMMV if you sit down to a
non-Linux Unix to do the same thing.