Re: [SLUG] Like winblows 98 problem

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 23:41:44 EST

It's more likely an issue with the APM implementation on the machine, as
I've had times with my ThinkPad where the halt command fails to issue the
shutdown command to the power manager to power down the hardware. Most
newer computers use ACPI as the power management interface with backwards
compatibility for APM, and sometimes Linux doesn't handle this correctly
(the 'stock' kernel doesn't directly support ACPI but does support APM).

Sometimes issuing the command 'shutdown -h' rather than 'halt' will
correctly shut down the system and power it down.

The 10-15 second keypress is mostly unique to Windows; it sends a
notification to Windows that the computer is shutting down and initiates the
shutdown event sequence to close Windows; holding down the power button for
10 seconds shuts off power immediately. When I'm running Linux on the same
machine hitting the power button shuts down power immediately.

SWB