RE: [SLUG] Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server 3.0 / USB 2.0 Question

From: Meyer, David R (FL) (David.Meyer07@ca.com)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 14:08:30 EST

Worked like a charm! Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: slug@nks.net [mailto:slug@nks.net] On Behalf Of Kwan Lowe
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 2:00 PM
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server 3.0 / USB
2.0 Question

> Hello,
>
> We are converting a bunch of our Windows servers to Red Hat Adv. 3.0.
> The servers are IBM 345 with SCSI drives in a RAID 5 Config. There is

> a USB 2 port in the back (it was added later) that Red Hat identifies.
> One of the Windows guys has a ton of files on a USB 2 Hard Drive that
> was formatted using FAT32 that he wants to pull off. The drive is
> mounted during boot up, but we can't seem to find it once things are
> up and running.
>
> My question...is this a simple Samba configuration question or am I
> really missing the boat here. I know SuSE will mount the device and
> allow you access right away. However, we are unable to even find this

> drive.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You might try grepping through dmesg for the hard drive. The USB drive
is
*probably* mounted as a SCSI device so you'd need to look for sd*
devices.
Once you locate the device you should then be able to mount it with:
  mkdir /mnt/usbdrive
  mount -t vfat /dev/sd## /mnt/usbdrive

You don't need Samba to do this.

--