[SLUG] Spamassassin confusion

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 02:43:24 EST

Hello Sluggers, Hope you all had really nice Holidays.

Spam has just really gotten out of hand on my box and I decided to
install Spamassassin. Running SuSE 8.2, Kmail 1.5.4. Installed
Spamassassin 2.55.48 via rpm. Can't seem to make it work. It is my
understanding that Spamassassin can mark headers which are then passed
to Kmail. Then in Kmail you can set up filters based on the headers to
route the mail wherever you want. Spamassassin is not examining my
mail and marking the headers.

Now, I have been told that Spamassassin is usually invoked by procmail
by /etc/procmailrc I have never used procmail having always allowed
the mail client to directly download my mail. Don't know how to set up
procmail and would prefer that I not have to.

Here is what I have done. I did make up a procmailrc file and put it
in /etc I also made up a local.cf file which is located
in /etc/mai/spamassassin. Then I ran insserve spamd and rcspamd start.
All as root.

I also understand (I think) that Spamassassin can be run globally or
locally. I assume that what I have described is for a global
application. I do not have a .procmailrc file in my ?home/bob
directory.

Any and all help making this work would be greatly appreciated.

Bob S.