Re: [SLUG] custom kernel issues

From: Nathan Anderson (nathana@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 22:14:23 EST

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 09:17 pm, Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Nathan Anderson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 January 2004 06:45 pm, Eben King wrote:
> > > How far does it get?
> >
> > I can select the kernel in LILO, and things proceed as expected for a
> > brief moment... The next screen flashes by extremely quickly but says
> > something along the lines of "Loading Linux....." then the machine
> > immediately reboots.
>
> Idea: boot the new kernel. When the computer reboots boot the old kernel
> with the option "init=/bin/sh". Then, once you're in, run "dmesg >
> some_file". That way you should be able to see where it died by examining
> that file.

That sounds like an excellent idea but unfortunately I didn't keep any of the
Athlon kernels. Looking back now I should have, but at the time I kept
thinking I was doing something wrong and I would remove the non-working
kernel and all associated files. Then I'd start over and try to figure out
what I was missing. If I am unsuccessful with my next attempt I will try the
above advice and see if I can discern the problem.

> > Indeed, I can try not loading the modules for my various peripherals and
> > see if I can find the problem that way.
>
> It would have to get to "Loading init (version whatever)" before it loaded
> any modules.

Ah, of course... I didn't even think about when the modules would be loaded.
The kernels I tried did not make it that far along in the boot process.

Thanks again for your suggestions,
Nate